Starting at Our Kids
How to Enrol
To enrol your child, please come into the centre at any time during business hours. Alternatively, phone or email us to make an appointment. Our teachers are always available to show you around the centres and discuss the enrolment process.
Before your child starts at one of Our Kids centres please provide the following:
Completed Enrolment Form
Birth Certificate or Passport
Starting at Our Kids
Settling into a new preschool environment can be an exciting and sensitive time for children and parents. We aim to facilitate a positive transitions into early childhood education to ensure children and their families feel safe and welcome.
We believe every child is unique and respect any routines developed at home that the child brings to the centre. We value and appreciate any information you can share with us regarding your child’s routines, preferences and personality.
Pre-Visits to Our Kids Centres
Before starting at Our Kids early childhood centres, we recommend three pre-visits:
- On the first visit parents are invited to stay at the centre with their child and get to know staff and centre routines. This is a great opportunity for staff to chat with parents about their child. Staff take parents through a ‘parent induction’ process so you’ll know where everything is and what you need to do.
- On the second visit parents are invited to spend time again at the centre with their child, but a teacher will now take the lead and assist your child in the settling process.
- On the third visit we ask the parent to leave the child at the centre for a short period.
On your child’s first day at Our Kids we request that parents say goodbye to their child and let them know they will return to collect them later on. Teachers can assist children in fare welling family/whānau members and will support their transition into learning. A well done goodbye lets children feel secure in that parents will return as opposed to simply disappearing at any moment.
Things to Bring
Play, exploration and quality learning can often become wet and messy, so please dress your children in clothes that are comfortable and easily washed:
- Two/three changes of clothes clearly labelled
- For children in nappies provide at least five nappies for each day your child attends
- In summer ensure your child has a clearly labelled hat and apply sunblock before coming to the centre
- In winter please ensure your child has warm hat, jacket and gumboots
When you feel your child is ready for toilet training please discuss this with Our Kids staff. We ask you start toilet training at home first so you can assess whether or not your child is ready. Once your child has been learning to use the toilet at home for some weeks we’ll try the same at Our Kids.
If your child doesn’t seem ready, shows no interest, is fearful, or has too many accidents, toilet training should be put on hold until we decide together that your child is ready to try again.
We will remind your child to use the toilet throughout the day, however children are often more easily distracted when playing with friends so it is important for your child to have a good start at toilet training at home before we try at Our Kids.